Government investment in the arts, such as music and theatre, is a waste of money. Governments must invest this money in public services instead.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
It is highly debated that pouring government funding into art is such a waste, and it should be distributed in other sectors instead. I definitely believe otherwise. This essay will first explain the significance of art and then discuss in details the financial opportunities stemming from its preservation.
The expression of the human creative mind and imagination plays a tremendous role in painting a nation’s distinct identity that sets it apart from others. Art has greatly contributed to our cultural growth, which betters the understanding of our heritage and fills the gap between different generations. As a result, we are able to take pride in the essence of who we are as a community and fluently communicate it with the world.
Moreover, quality of life could be vastly enhanced through the performing arts such as music and theatre due to their entertainment value. They are incredible outlets for people to release stress by allowing them to escape the harsh realities of life. Consequently, our emotional and mental health would be fully nourished, which could be just as crucial as looking after our physical well-being.
Not only should countries invest in art for sentimental reasons but also for economical motivation based on its potential earnings. Museums that house ancient artefacts could host special exhibitions to attract a significant number of tourists, and subsequently generate a sizable income. Destinations like the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and the Louvre Museum in Paris welcome millions of visitors annually and rake in an enormous amount of revenue. An additional benefit could be the employment opportunities available to the local workforce, who would eventually contribute to the economy in the form of income tax.
Art is undeniably valuable because it carries such cultural and financial importance. Therefore, governments should continue to invest in protecting as well as furthering its development.
(Sample by Mr. Hoang Pham – 8.0 IELTS)
- It is highly debated that: Nhiều người tranh cãi rằng,,,,
- in details (adv) chi tiết
- to stem from: bắt nguồn từ
- to play a tremendous role in: đóng vai trò quan trọng trong
- set it apart: tách riêng, đặt riêng
- to enhance: nhấn mạnh
- to be fully nourished: được nuôi dưỡng một cách đầy đủ
- to rake in: thu về (tiền, doanh thu)
- in the form of something
- to carry cultural and financial importance: mang tầm quan trọng về văn hóa và tài chính
- to further one’s development: tiếp tục phát triển
Một số cụm từ/ diễn đạt theo chủ đề Arts & Public Services:
- to pour government funding into art: đổ tiền đầu tư của Chính phủ vào Nghệ thuật
- to paint a nation’s distinct identity: tạo nên bản sắc của một quốc gia
- to better the understanding of our heritage: giúp hiểu rõ hơn về di sản của quốc gia
- to fill the gap between different generations: xóa bỏ khoảng cách giữa các thế hệ
- to take pride in the essence of who we are: tự hào về cốt lõi/bản chất của chúng ta
- outlet (n) sự thể hiện cảm xúc
- to escape the harsh realities of life: thoát khỏi thực tại tàn khốc
- to house ancient artefacts: lưu trữ đồ cổ
- to look after our physical well-being: chăm sóc bản thân
- to host special exhibitions: tổ chức những triển lãm đặc biệt
- to generate a sizable income: tạo ra thu nhập đáng kể
Tham khảo khóa học Pre-Senior để có thể nắm vững các phương pháp làm bài IELTS Writing Task 2 hoàn chỉnh.