Some people think that studying in a college or a university is the best way for students to prepare for their future career. However, others think they should leave school as soon as possible to develop their career through work experience.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
1. Phân tích topic Education – IELTS Writing Task 2
Gần đây, những câu hỏi về chủ đề ‘Education’ thường được liên kết với những chủ đề khác để kiểm tra mức độ thông hiểu và vận dụng ngôn ngữ của thí sinh. Ví dụ:
Ở các dạng bài về ‘Education’ liên quan đến ‘Jobs and Career’, có một topic thường xuyên được hỏi là: “Học sinh vừa tốt nghiệp hệ giáo dục bắt buộc nên học đại học hay đi làm để lấy kinh nghiệm?” Đây cũng là đề bài mà chúng ta sẽ đi vào nghiên cứu dưới đây.
2. Bài mẫu Should students enter university or go to work?
One of the most significant and challenging decisions one has to make is whether to go to college. In my opinion, while higher education is the right choice for some people, it is not for everyone.
Going to college straight from high school is the popular decision because statistically, those with a college degree earn more money and are less likely to experience unemployment. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), median weekly earnings increase with each level of education and unemployment rate is lower among college graduates. Higher education is also worth considering if high school graduates have selected an occupation that requires a bachelor’s degree for all or most entry-level jobs, which means without going to college, it would be impossible to enter the field. In addition to preparing themselves for a particular occupation, students can learn valuable and transferable skills, such as verbal and written communication, interpersonal, time management, critical thinking, and problem – solving skills, that can help them succeed in any career.
On the other hand, going to work after high school would be a better choice for those pursuing a career that does not require a degree, such as personal trainer, electrician, and massage therapist. People who struggle academically or cannot afford tertiary education should also consider working as it is expensive and time- consuming to obtain a degree. Besides, working individuals will be able to earn money, which would give them a sense of independence and confidence; it would also give them life experience and help them make a better decision about schooling in the future.
In conclusion, the decision to enter university or the work market is a life changing situation that requires investing significant time and resources; thus, one should consider some of these pros and cons to include in their analysis of determining what’s best for them.
(307 words, written by Mr. Thanh Tung – 8.0 IELTS)
Từ vựng nổi bật
- significant and challenging decisions: những quyết định quan trọng và có tính thách thức
- higher education ( = university education): giáo dục đại học
- experience unemployment: trải nghiệm giáo dục
- median weekly earnings: thu nhập trung vị theo tuần
- bachelor’s degree: bằng cử nhân
- entry-level jobs: công việc cho những người mới tốt nghiệp
- to enter the field: tham gia vào lĩnh vực
- interpersonal skills (n) nhóm các kỹ năng liên kết
- critical thinking skills (n) kỹ năng tư duy phản biện
- to pursue a career: theo đuổi sự nghiệp
- to struggle academically: gặp những vấn đề
- tertiary education (n) giáo dục đại học
- to obtain a degree: đạt bằng cấp
- a life-changing situation: một tình huống có sức ảnh hưởng lớn
3. Một số đề bài IELTS Writing chủ đề Education
- Do you think it is better for students to work before their university study? Why? Use reasons and specific examples to support your choice.
- Some people think that schools have to be more entertaining, while others think that their sole purpose is to educate. Which do you agree with?
- Nowadays computer education is compulsory for your learners in most schools. Do you think this is necessary or will children acquire these skills naturally from their daily interaction with technology everywhere?
- Some people think that a person improves intellectual skills better when doing group activities. To what extent do you agree?
- Compared to the past, more people are now studying abroad because it is more convenient and cheaper than before. Do you think this is beneficial to the foreign student’s home country?
- Computers have become so advanced and interactive that students in the future will have no need for a human educator in the classroom. Do you agree? Why or why not?
- In some countries, health care and education are only partially funded by the government. Some people argue that the government should be responsible for covering the full cost of these services. Do you support or oppose the opinion?
- Doing an enjoyable activity with a child can develop better skills and imagination than reading. To what extent do you agree?
- University students nowadays have too much freedom and do not study enough. To what extent do you agree and disagree?
- The internet has become so efficient and popular that many people rely on it for learning. Some suggest that it could replace the use of books as the main source of knowledge for education. Do you support or oppose the opinion?
- What do you think is the best way to find a job: by gaining more knowledge and education or through more practical skills?
- Do you think that education and training should be completely free or it is better to require fully paid tuition? Which way do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- Students should be completely free to choose whether to study or play games. They should be allowed to manage their own time. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think that real life skills like cooking, housekeeping and gardening should be included in the curriculum as compulsory subjects? Do you agree or disagree?
- Childcare has always been of primary concern and importance. Do you think that courses designed to help mothers are necessary or can they acquire the essential knowledge through personal experience?
- Gaming is argued to have a bad influence on young children but some people think that it could have a positive effect on them as well. Which view do you agree with?
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? If students were given the choice between ‘not to study’ and ‘study most of the time’, they would choose ‘not to study’.
- Many universities have introduced tests for evaluation rather than the old written exams based upon lessons from books. What is your opinion?
- Some people say that school education is not useful and the essence of study can be acquired at home. Do you agree or disagree?
- Cramming and immersion are becomingly increasingly recognised methods of gaining knowledge in an area, other people disagree and say that only through lifelong learning can a subject be learnt. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- In recent years, online education is becoming more and more popular. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this phenomenon?